Self Build Costs
How much will it cost to build your own home?
The true cost of self build
The average total build cost is £305,943 (Homebuilding & Renovating Self & Custom Build Market Report 2017)
The cost of a self-build home varies depending on a range of factors; where in the UK are you building, the size of the home, the standard of finish, if you're project managing the build yourself or employing a project manager and so on.
Typically, Potton self -build customers tend to build on average for £250,000-350,000. You can take a look at self build case studies here
Self Build in Numbers
- 51 is the average age of a self-builder
- £305,943 is the average total ubild cost
- 247 square metres is the average size of a self-build home
- £1,284 is the average building cost per square metre
- £220,573 is the average spend on a plot
- 12,800 self builds in the UK in 2016
- 29% is the average uplift self-builders enjoy on their project in terms of equity
Potton have an Ideas Book and Price Guide which are useful for understanding what size house you could design and build and for what budget, download them here.
If you're at the early stages of considering self-building then there are plenty of self build cost calculators out there which can help, try the Build It 'Build Cost Calculator' or this Build Cost Calculator from Homebuilding & Renovating.