How does Kingspan ULTIMA™ Building System deliver these benefits?
Kingspan Timber Solutions use Kingspan Kooltherm® to enhance the performance of its systems because of the exceptional performance characteristic that it possesses.
The Kooltherm K-range is an extensive range of premium performance phenolic insulants for roof, wall and floor insulation.
Kingspan Kooltherm® K12 Framing Board with a fibre-free rigid thermoset phenolic insulation core faced on both sides with a low emissivity composite foil facing. By using Kingspan Kooltherm® the thickness of insulation included in external walls
can be minimised and the floor space available for use increased.
Kingspan Kooltherm® offers the following benefits:
- With a thermal conductivity of 0.018–0.023 W/m.K these are the most thermally efficient insulation products commonly used.
- The thinnest commonly used insulation products for any specific U–value.
- Manufactured with a blowing agent that has zero Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) and low Global Warming Potential (GWP).
- Their closed cell structure resists both moisture and water vapour ingress – a problem which can be associated with open cell materials such as mineral fibre and which can result in reduced thermal performance.
- Unaffected by air infiltration – a problem that can be experienced with mineral fibre and which can reduce thermal performance.
- Safe and easy to install – fibre-free core.
- If installed correctly, can provide reliable long term thermal performance over the lifetime of the building.
Kingspan Kooltherm® K12 Framing Board is certified by the BBA for use between studding and/or as an insulated sheathing over walls of conventional timber-frame buildings and has well defined fire performance characteristics and benefits from testing to a wide range of international standards.
Kingspan Kooltherm® enhanced the fire performance of the Kingspan ULTIMA™ Building System when it was tested in accordance with BS EN 1365:1 2012. By incorporating an overlay of Kingspan Kooltherm® insulation between the plasterboard and the structure frame, structural integrity is extended by shielding the structure from the penetrating fire.
The provision of a dedicated service void maintains the integrity of both the insulation and airtightness of the panels. The Kingspan ULTIMA™ Panel jointing system maintains continuity of airtightness not only at panel to panel junctions but also at critical junctions with foundations, intermediate floors and roof. In whole building airtightness testing ULTIMA™ has consistently delivered permeability’s less than 2m3/m2.hr @ 50pa. The Air Leakage barrier dressed into openings, allows a simple tape seal to windows, doors and other wall penetrations.
Continuity of the premium performance Kooltherm® Insulation internal lining not only ensures the elimination of thermal bridging within the ULTIMA™ panels but also at critical junctions with foundations, intermediate floors and roof. Full thermal modelling of critical details has been carried out to optimise thermal efficiency and determine ψValues.
The Kingspan ULTIMA™ Building System provides enhanced fire resistance performance over standard ‘open panel’ timber frame systems and achieves this by incorporating Kingspan Kooltherm insulation as an internal overlay which protects the structural frame.
The Kingspan ULTIMA™ Building System exceeds the requirements of Approved Document B Volume 1 with regards to fire resistance when tested in accordance with BS EN 1365:1 1999 and achieved 49 minutes structural integrity using a standard 15 mm plasterboard lining.
Independent fire assessment confirm that Kingspan ULTIMA™ would achieve 30 minutes fire resistance using a 12.5 mm standard plasterboard lining and should any element of your home require a 60 minute structural integrity, this can be achieved with a 15 mm fire resistant plasterboard.